Sunday, October 26, 2014

Poems from the Past

I want to post a couple of poems that I had written shortly after I had begun serving as an LDS missionary. They still resonate with me so I thought I would share them here.

"Untitled"
To choose to serve my Father above
To find the man I want to be
A man who needs only God
A man who loves only truth
Who thinks not of the power of others
But only fears the power of God
A man who flies true to his promise
No deflected by selfish thoughts
To strengthen myself in the love of my Father
To think as He would have my think
And be as He would have be be
Because I am weak I lean not to myself
Because I long for a comforting hand
I do not look unto my own
Because within I'm incomplete
I look beyond
Find faith in God
I get strength from giving
Comfort from prayer
And love from living
My foundation must be within
And then not hide
But grow from standing
With a face to the future
Eyes to my God
Bound in love
In the hand of my faith
I am yet a child
Wanting to be a man

"Why I Think"
I think in pictures in my mind
I think to be where I am not
I think to better where I am
And see myself as I was
I see my friends as they used to be
I see their faces in my mind
I see their eyes look into mine
And hear their voices when I'm alone
I hear the friends that I once knew
I hear those people I long to see
I hear the songs that make me feel
Of love for times gone by
I feel the friendships carrying on
I feel my aching deep inside
I feel peace when I close my eyes
I think, I see, I hear, I feel
All to know better who am I
My life is like a clouded marble
I look in from different sides
To try and find where my center lies

No comments: